Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Bringing Culture to the Classroom

I'm Back!

Hey Y'all! I know it's been a hot minute since I have taken the time to blog! I have missed it but recently I have been inspired by my husband and his commitment to his own travel and finance blog over at Wander Wealth . 
There have been a few reasons why I have been missing from the blogging scene. My husband and I found out we are expecting our first baby in May of this year. That news has been both exciting and overwhelming. Most of my time that I used to spend blogging about teaching has now been focused on all things baby and parenting related! My goal is to get back to blogging about one of the biggest parts of my life- teaching! 

Culture

         Every year that I have taught I have given my students some sort of culture project to complete at home. Students then bring them in to share with their classmates. This is one of of the best times of year where we get to learn so much about one another and celebrate the different cultures in our school. After reflecting on last year's projects I began searching for a different project that would give more students choice and dig a little deeper into their cultures. I searched around several different places and came across one that I loved! Shout out to Shyu Laoshi on Teacher Pay Teachers for creating this awesome resource! 

         I love that this product is editable! It's originally made for higher grades, but was so easy to edit for my second graders. It also has a wonderful rubric that was easy for parents to understand. 

Another aspect of this project that I love is that all students submit two family recipes! We are going to collect these recipes and create a digital classroom cookbook to send out to the families. 

Students have done an amazing job presenting their projects. Another great thing about this project is it allows students many finished product choices. Some students made brochures, posters, or even digital books. 
Here are some samples!




Here is an awesome digital book version of the project. I wish you could hear the sound, but I can't get it to load as a book :(. My student did such a great job translating into Italian! So enjoy the photos and let me know if you know how to load it into blogger as a book! :)






If you are looking for a way to bring culture into your classroom that has little to no prep time for the teacher, this is the one! 

Talk Soon!
xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment